By using Elementorforum.com’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the Best Unofficial Elementor Support forum

Provide or get advice on everything Elementor and Wordpress, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love Wordpress and Elementor

Join us!
elementor official

Rebuilding existing Wordpress site with Elementor

A

Ayl

Hopefully this is a quick general question, I have an existing Wordpress website that was built by a developer using a custom theme many years ago. I am now looking to substantially change the website and I am looking to do this with Elementor. Should I try to edit the existing pages with Elementor or should I just build new pages from scratch and then swap them by deleting the old one and publishing the new one? I don't really want to go back to the prior developer as these are skills that I really need to build myself.

elementor official
hakira

hakira

First things first

Do you need to rebuild full website?
Do you want just add new pages and keep existing ones?
Do you want to Redesign the website?

1st step, create a copy or staging environment of your existing website, and change what you want in a new place, not in the live website.
- you can do that offline, in a new subdomain / folder on your root folder under your webhost or in a staging depends on your webhost

2nd step backup everything depends on first step
3rd step think about what you need from that 3 questions i gave to you.

So, if you just need a new page, you can do so with Elementor just, however, be sure to create one page, and try visit that page after you put a Header and another widget. Why? to be sure that elementor will not have conflict with the existing theme.

If you want to redesign the website, depending on your theme, you will need to create all pages again.
If you open the pages that already exist, and, you can see elementor editor, and "BELOW" you will see the website content from previews, then you will want to set elementor template to full width, edit the same pages start to build of the ground and apply the already exist content to the new elementor widgets (that way you will not loose SEO by deleting pages) unless that you give the same slug to the new pages

Dont use both together unless that you just need a simple page.
Opt for elementor or theme.

Anyway, try and test things out, create a copy of your website and work in other version.
My opinion, just create new page, design, build, copy content, and after everything is okay delete old page and change slug (url) to match the old page slug, to keep SEO.

elementor official
A

Ayl

Thanks for that. Your answer certainly helps me go in the right direction.

elementor official
elementor official