By using Elementorforum.com’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the Best Wordpress and Elementor Support forum

Provide or get advice on everything Elementor and Wordpress, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love Wordpress and Elementor

Join us!

Pop-up hyperlink triggers 404

• Thread starter webtools_tedthomas.com
  • Start date
W

webtools_tedthomas.com

The href's of pop-up triggers 404's for indexing bots and SEO reporting software. I already submitted this to support and have been ignored. It's also been ignored at Github issue 11104. "%23elementor-action%3Aaction%3Dpopup%3Aopen%26settings%3DeyJpZCI6IjgxMSIsInRvZ2dsZSI6ZmFsc2V9". We can't just sit back and watch how traffic/revenue goes down the drain. Would anyone in this forum be able to help?

ahrefs 357 404 errors.png

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
You can set it to nofollow which for the time being will solve the issue in regards to SEO tools picking up those URL's.

But yes agreed it needs to be resolved, there is a long thread about in the github bug reports.

N

nunoBM

You can set it to nofollow which for the time being...
No, please dont do it
to set nofollow for intern links is SEO- destructive
I was able to test several times and every time I had ranking losses

Community

Community

Administrator
Staff member
No, please dont do it
to set nofollow for intern links is SEO- destructive
I was able to test several times and every time I had ranking losses

Nofollowing a link which doesnt have a destination is absolutetly not an SEO issue, It's a prevent of a much bigger problem of repeated inconsistant crawls. Depending on the size of the site you could be wasting presious crawl budgets.

Please provide the conclusive test result data which showed no-following of errrorous invalid popup links resulted in a drop in rankings. Ideally a direct correlation of the two.........I push forward the motion that you simply couldnt provide it.

N

nunoBM

Nofollowing a link which doesnt have a destination is absolutetly not an SEO issue, It's a prevent of a much bigger problem of repeated inconsistant crawls. Depending on the size of the site you could be wasting presious crawl budgets.

Please provide the conclusive test result data which showed no-following of errrorous invalid popup links resulted in a drop in rankings. Ideally a direct correlation of the two.........I push forward the motion that you simply couldnt provide it.
What Matt Cutts says (also here in the video) is law.
That must be enough evidence. I would not give (temporary) SEO solutions. Think about the responsibility behind it. The community has been patiently waiting for two months. For the programmer, this is a few lines of code, around 15 minutes.

vladykx

vladykx

How about Elementor team actually fixes the bug instead of looking for workarounds? 2 months to fix this critical issue... Nice going!

N

nunoBM

Temporarily you should all make a new entry in the robots.txt file
/*yourstring$, (between /* and $).
For example the last 5 letters of the link: /*sc2V9$ like this:
Disallow: /*sc2V9$

N

nunoBM

you can also rewrite the link using JavaScript.
Open Head-Template and paste in HTML this code:
(replace "yourID" with your popUp-link ID)

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
var a = jQuery("a[href*='%23elementor-action%3Aaction%3Dpopup%3Aopen%26settings%3DyourID']");
a.attr('href', a.attr('href').replace('%23', '#'));
});

it works for me
(Use it only in combination with robots.txt (see above) and only temporarily.)

Latest posts

Latest Resources

Other Elementor Resources

elementor official